IoT and Its Impact on The Public Transportation System
The growing popularity of internet of things (IoT) enabled devices and smartphones, and the recent increase in the penetration of the internet across the globe has redefined connectivity. Individuals are always connected to the internet from their mobile phones, smartphones, and laptops even while commuting. Earlier, there were some dead spots and lapses in network […]READ MORE >>
The growing popularity of internet of things (IoT) enabled devices and smartphones, and the recent increase in the penetration of the internet across the globe has redefined connectivity. Individuals are always connected to the internet from their mobile phones, smartphones, and laptops even while commuting. Earlier, there were some dead spots and lapses in network coverage on the public transportation system such as buses and trains. But today, IoT is set to transform the public transportation system by driving efficiency and increasing connectivity. IoT is the key to improve the transportation industry, which will, in turn, help in redesigning the public transport system.
IoT and Public Transportation System
Connected vehicles or connected transportation simply means vehicles that have Wi-Fi or other sensors that facilitate internet connectivity while traveling. By leveraging IoT enabled devices and networks in the public transportation system, authorities can optimize the routes, lower infrastructural costs, reduce traffic network congestion, and enhance road safety. The public transport system embedded with IoT sensors can be used to track the vehicle through GPS, monitor the vehicle behavior, schedule maintenance activities, and assist the driver in reserving public parking spots for convenience. The data gathered through IoT-enabled devices can be analyzed with the help of various business intelligence solutions and gain actionable insights that can be used to make strategic decisions, assess driver behavior, impart training in required areas, and plan and develop smart cities.
Revamping the Public Transport System – How?
There are millions of people that avail the public transport services and commute daily on buses and trains each day across the globe. This mass network of public transport system generates large amounts of data on a daily basis. How exactly IoT can revamp the entire public transportation system, you ask? Here’s how.
- The public transport vehicles, if embedded with sensors, can alert the maintenance and service teams to schedule maintenance activities, and ensure that the vehicle complies with the regulatory standards and frameworks
- Through IoT enabled devices, public transport vehicles can offer internet connectivity either through embedding in-built chipset or tethering the vehicle with hardware to offer Wi-Fi connectivity to enhance customer experience and improve consumer journey
- The entire transport industry generates large amounts of data through various sources like ticketing counters, vehicle sensors, traffic signals, social media, and personal feedbacks that can be analyzed with the help of business intelligence and customer intelligence solutions to plan services and offer information to their customers
- The organizations can track the vehicle movement, trace the location, monitor the activities, and develop measure to ensure safety
Transportation System and IoT – Roadblocks
The growing dependence of the transportation industry on IoT enabled devices and sensors may help ease out traffic and network concerns. However, the authorities must be able to protect sensitive data and networks to ensure individual privacy and data safety from cyber-attacks. Additionally, developing an IoT enabled public transportation system requires a strong network infrastructure with added investments to ensure that networks have the capacity to scale up and drive automation in the transport network.
- Top-3 Trends that will Drive the Market for Autonomous Vehicles
- Road to Smarter Cities : Smart Highways Coming Our Way Soon
- Building Automation Systems & Internet of Things- Seamless Integration Leads to Profitability
- Top 5 Trends in the Automotive Industry for 2017